[sugar] [IAEP] Fwd: Autonomous system for Sugar development....

David Farning dfarning
Fri Jun 6 16:01:23 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 21:16 +0200, Ivan Krsti? wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2008, at 9:04 PM, Jim Gettys wrote:
> > The community itself needs to decide on a set of people who are the
> > group of sysadmin people for Sugar's possible move to be something all
> > are comfortable about.
>
> Please don't top post, and please do quote relevant sections of
> original e-mails when replying. I don't know what the above statement
> is referencing, since I never made any claims about who should choose,
> or act as, the SugarLabs sysadmins.
>
> > And for more to contribute in the sysadmin area, the system
> > administration needs to have redundancy, and actually get documented
> > and
> > communicated.  Single points of failure is not an option to us at this
> > date.
>
> A single point of failure was never an 'option'; at OLPC, it was a
> reality due to organizational failings. No reasonable open source
> community will make those kinds of mistakes.
>
> I've offered hardware, bandwidth and root to a small group of trusted
> SugarLabs people. I'll leave scheduling meetings and discussing it
> with OLPC to people who have the patience.

?A good resource would be the gnome-infrastructure guys at
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-infrastructure .  Aren't
they at least partially hosted at Canonical?

I will set up a SysadminTeam space on w.l.o later today.

As for the tone, let's keep it positive.  Jim and OLPC are trying to
spinoff (disentangle) Sugar and Sugar Labs from OLPC.  But, there is a
catch--Sugar is a primary component in OLPC's primary product.  If Sugar
Labs collapses, OLPC is in a painful position.  From a practical
perspective OLPC is going to have to help keep Sugar Labs going until we
can get our feet under us.

Imagine loaning your credit card to your kid for the first time.  You
will probably give it to him, but sure as hell want a plan and some
limits!

As a result, Sugar Labs needs to view OLPC as a customer, right now our
only customer.  Jim was offering to help Sugar Labs meet it's current
hosting needs.  In exchange he wanted a plan.

As Greg pointed out in an earlier thread, we need to work on our 'Dog
and Pony Show'.  We need to be able to present a plan.

Until the approved governance methods are in place,  could we set up
advisory board to help us keep on track?

Thanks
Dfarning