[sugar] Gadget's feature integration in Sugar

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Tue Jun 3 08:51:10 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:

> It might be useful to expose this calculated value somewhere (control
> panel?), because it sounds kind of flaky (nonobvious, nondiscoverable,
> limiting, non-deterministic) to me to have this limit.  If we intend
> this limit to actually be hit often, perhaps it would make sense to
> expose it to the user in the mesh view (an icon + textbox
> right-justified in the toolbox?  I'm thinking firefox's search bar,
> though this should not be used that much...perhaps it should only
> appear if the activity/buddy search results are limited?)?

This is up to Eben, but a preference doesn't make a lot of sense to me
here, as long as we have a fixed size view. You can only fit a certain
number of items in it, assuming it's correctly calculated I see no
reason for the user to want to tweak it.

Unfortunately I'm now thinking that we might not be able to calculate
a limit, because it depends on the number of activities, buddies and
buddies per activity and hence it keeps changing. Another possible
approach is to set an arbitrary (configurable?) limit of
buddies/activities related to network scalability and make the mesh
view scrollable (a la google maps).

Marco