[sugar] Moving to metacity with composition (was: Preparing for the feature freeze)

Martin Dengler martin
Tue Jun 3 07:39:50 EDT 2008

As an aside...

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:16:27PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> Sayamindu, you say you got OOM problems after activating composition,
> can you check where that memory is going? Or might be the X server
> crashing instead?

Even on my C2 "yum search yummemoryimprovesinf9" causes significant
memory pressure[1].  Sugar/Glucose/Sweetness becomes unresponsive,
though oom-killer doesn't get involved. I'm surprised that it's even
feasible to run yum on a B4 with sugar running.  I've been using
compcache[2,3] to help with this pressure.

> Cheers,
>
> Tomeu

Martin

1. As in, "free" in vmstat goes down to 0, from 40.  Yeah, this is
imprecise.  "cache" is still fine at 80.  joyride-1998. That's not
downloading any updates, no activities running.
2. http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/28
3. http://www.xades.com/ , "compcache on the XO"