[sugar] Preparing for the feature freeze

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes
Tue Jun 3 06:29:57 EDT 2008

Le mardi 03 juin 2008 ? 12:11 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti a ?crit :
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Morgan Collett
> <morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Gadget is a server side component for the jabber server that will
> > address the scalability issues by showing presence for only a subset
> > of those on the server. It will therefore allow many more on the
> > server at once.
> >
> > There will be PS and mesh view changes required - see Guillaume's
> > recent mail(s) to sugar at .
>
> When is the backend planned to land?

Well, this involves work in a lot of modules:
- the gadget component itself
- telepathy-gabble: new API's for search/random and protocol to talk to
Gadget
- sugar-presence-service: new API's using Gabble's search features
- sugar-toolkit: convenient wrapper for PS new API's
- sugar: GUI to perform searches, etc

Currently, most of the work has been done in Gadget and Gabble and I
recently started PS changes.

> What happens if we land only the backend without the search features?
> Do we only see a random number of buddies?

Yes, if sugar request these buddies (shouldn't be more complicated than
a D-Bus method call on PS).

I think that's a good idea to focus on random queries for now as it
doesn't require new UI and sugar changes should be pretty simple.

That's not a new feature from user pov but could allow us to deploy a
public jabber server without the shared roster hack and see how it
scales.

> How does it work from the UI code perspective? We set a filter and
> buddies which doesn't match the search disappear (as if they have had
> left)?

Don't know. I'm not a GUI expert, we are open to any suggestion.

> Is Collabora planning to do the UI side of it?

For now I'm focusing on PS API. If someone wants to work on the GUI side
when they are done that would be great.

> Sorry, lots of questions :)

np :)

	G.