[sugar] Moving to metacity with composition (was: Preparing for the feature freeze)

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Tue Jun 3 06:23:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
> <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A nice thing about this is that little changes to sugar are expected
>>> to be needed, so it's easy to swap-in swap-out, perhaps in a quick
>>> 8.2.1 release?
>>
>> Well, if we go for the fullscreen hint approach, it will need changes
>> to all the non-python activities, so it would be pretty invasive.
>
> Ouch, is that acceptable? What will happen when kids try to run an old activity?

Well, there is no official API freeze in effect yet. Old activities
will get a window frame. Personally I think that's acceptable if using
the fullscreen hint is considered the best semantic. We could also
consider to use normal window + maximized. If someone could spend some
time thinking about the possible approaches and to write them down
(with advantages and disadvantages) that would be a good step forward.

>>> We'll be saving 3.5MB per python activity with the prefork trick, and
>>> in the worst case we would be having a penalty of 2MB per fullscreen
>>> window because of composition.
>>
>> Bernando was saying that this is not possible because of *video*
>> memory constraints.
>
> Hmm, but not all those pixmaps will be kept in video mem, right? If
> so, then I don't get why the faster builds work so fine.

What I understood from Bernardo is that they needs to be in video mem.
If you open several windows in faster and try to rotate the screen,
does it work?

Marco