[sugar] Preparing for the feature freeze

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Tue Jun 3 05:45:18 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>> Three more items I can think of:
>
> My take on the priorities.
>
>> * Switch from Matchbox to Metacity and
>
> Priority 2. I would love to have it but it might be too late, given
> that Sayamindu experimentation run into interesting problems.

A nice thing about this is that little changes to sugar are expected
to be needed, so it's easy to swap-in swap-out, perhaps in a quick
8.2.1 release?

>> activate composition (eToys and
>> Record have trouble with this).
>
> Priority 1. Can we actually do this given the memory constraints?

We'll be saving 3.5MB per python activity with the prefork trick, and
in the worst case we would be having a penalty of 2MB per fullscreen
window because of composition. If we only keep the active activity
composited, we could limit this to a total of 4MB with peaks of 6MB
(desktop window + active activity + inactive activity while we take
the screenshot). Doesn't sound too bad if the avoided rewrites give us
a smoother experience.

Notifications on the lower corners look quite weird because of lack of
transparency, btw.

>> * Presence scalability when using Jabber (gadget).
>
> Priority 2.

Sure about this? Usefulness of presence is very limited without this.

Regards,

Tomeu