[sugar] current network differentiation?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Thu Jul 31 15:23:47 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM, <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:

> is it intentional that the currently-connected network is no
> longer differentiated in the neighborhood view?  the outer ring
> of that network icon used to be white -- it no longer is.

This is intentional.  The colors of the stroke/fill serve as the visual
representation of the identity of the network; changing them effectively
strips this identity.  The new design does not make any indication of which
network is presently associated in the Neighborhood view; perhaps we can
find an alternative method.  Thoughts?

> it's been pointed out that you can see your current network on
> the frame, but somehow that's not quite the same (to me).

Yes, that's the preferred model.  The Frame serves as a perpetual status
element, and is instantly accessible no matter "where" you are within the
UI.  I'm open to improvements on the model.

i'm also not sure how to disconnect from that network -- there's no
> "disconnect" option in the popup anymore.

Well, that's a "bug", but not really.  The problem is that there is no
notion of "disconnect" in network manager at all.  The old behavior used to
switch into mesh mode, which disassociated with the network itself.
 However, we now have a more direct means of accomplishing this, via turning
the mesh device on or off explicitly.  It doesn't make sense to compound
these.  The more conventional option is something like "turn wireless off"
to disassociate with the current network, but that assumes that there is no
other potential use for the wireless at all. In our case we still have the
mesh to worry about, so that again doesn't map onto our circumstances.

- Eben