[sugar] Random observations with joyride-2225 and latest activities

Morgan Collett morgan.collett
Tue Jul 29 04:14:41 EDT 2008

2008/7/29 Christoph Derndorfer <christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been running joyride-2225 with what I believe to be the latest versions
> (as per the update software functionality of the sugar-control-panel) of
> some core activities. In the past half hour I have stumbled across some
> issues that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else so I thought I'd share
> them:
>
> a) Record: using v56 the activity starts up fine, the display shows whatever
> the camera is capturing, I can go into fullscreen-mode, switch to different
> tabs, etc. However once I press the "capture"-button the whole thing
> basically freezes, sometimes I was still able to move the mouse but clicking
> wouldn't have any impact, at other times Sugar completely froze and I had to
> do a hard reset of the XO.
> b) TurtleArt: v7 is missing an "l" in the activity title so we're looking at
> "TurteArt"
> c) Read: This activity is only useful if started by clicking on a file with
> a mime-type that's associated to read. However it still shows up in the list
> view of the home-view even though you actually can't do anything with it
> once you start it. The activity.info file has the "show_launcher" property
> to define that behavior, not sure whether in this case it's simply set
> wrongly in the read .info or whether the list-view presently ignores this
> attribute.
> Another odd issue is that when you open read from the list / favorites view
> and you then want to close it you're presented with a "keep error" message
> which seems quite useless considering the fact that no activity / file was
> actually resumed. Again, not sure whether that's an issue with read or the
> underlying Journal structure.
> d) Brightness adjustment: up to 708 and most earlier joyrides that I have
> used in the past weeks allowed you to immediatly turn of the backlight by
> pressing ctrl + reduce brightness button. With joyride-2225 this doesn't
> work anymore.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I think these are all worthy of a ticket. Some of them may be already
reported, but it's probably worth having duplicates rather than an
issue not reported at all. If you have time for some ticket triage,
then you could check if there are existing tickets. For example, I
know the "TurteArt" is an old issue.

Raising them on the mailing list is good too, since in some cases the
default Trac assignees for activities aren't responsive.

Regards
Morgan