[sugar] specifying what services Activities may use

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Mon Jul 28 20:18:51 EDT 2008

There was an earlier discussion of how to provide the right build
level for users out in the field, since now Builds can be installed
separately from Activities -- leading to the possibility that for
someone an Activity_version on his XO will find itself *mismatched*
with the Build_version on his XO.

The problem is bigger than that.

Since Joyride 2210, I have seen three of the Activities I often show
off get broken by the *removal* of services from the Joyride builds.
If the current software distribution process has trouble matching
existing Activities to the services_provided_by_a_Build -- how will
NOT YET EXISTING Activities be accommodated by the software that
Sugar is supposed to run on top of ???

I'm thinking of someone in a far-off land who has an idea for a
"killer" Activity, to be run under Sugar.  HOW does he learn which
(library, or kernel, or whatever) services will be available
*everywhere* Sugar can be installed, which services will be
available only with *specific* builds/platforms, and which services
would *never* be available for functions fitted into Sugar ?

mikus