[sugar] Activity names vs. types

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod
Fri Jul 25 01:02:01 EDT 2008

Hi Ben,

Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> I last discussed this issue with you at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/On_Presence_updates/User_Profiles/Collaboration.
>
> ~ I didn't understand your perspective then, and I still don't understand
> it now.

Please be more specific on what part of the activity type you don't
understand. I thought of it similarly to port numbers, some of which are
well known and some are not. Different web servers may be used on port
80, but they all use the HTTP protocol. I understand that you may not
agree with the port numbering system altogether and I don't really
insist on activity types either. Just an idea.

> Why does the name field have to be some fixed size?  Would it not be more
> efficient and flexible to use delimiters and let the size float?

I was being plainly lazy. I still think there should be a proper design,
potentially from scratch, of the activity sharing mechanism, as I am not
satisfied neither with cerebro's implementation, nor with telepathy's.

Pol

--
Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos
Graduate student