[sugar] Activity names vs. types (was: synapse/cerebro)

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod
Fri Jul 25 00:12:20 EDT 2008

Hi Elliot,

You brought up an interesting issue. I really hope you won't mind me
opening up the discussion to sugar ml.

Elliot Fairweather wrote:
> Mapping OLPC activity names (which take the form of well-known DBus
> bus names) to a two byte activity type in Cerebro is problematic (as
> well as creating a rather small upper bound for the number of possible
> activity types.) Maybe the activity type could be a given as a string
> or a longer byte array, maybe up to the maximum DBus bus name length
> (256 bytes?)?

A valid argument. I remember discussing the idea behind this in the past
with Michael, but I'm not sure if Sugar landed a decision on this. The
activity type is supposed group different activities into a single type
based on their capabilities and represent this group with a two-byte
field. For example, I wrote an activity that does chat, file sharing and
a bidding game. I _believe_ the activity should advertise its
capabilities as 'xx' for chat, '\x00\x01' for file-sharing and '99' for
the bidding game. The bytes chosen are clearly random, but the idea is
that my activity would be able to engage in a chat session with a
regular chat activity under the same activity type, or with previous
version of itself lacking the file-sharing capability. Maybe this is
simply an overkill.

At any rate, I will add (I filed a ticket) a sufficiently large (255
chars?) name field for activities, although I would much prefer
designing this mechanism properly (any suggestions by Sugar(ed)
developers?).

> Something else I forgot in my earlier mail, is that it would be really
> helpful if up-to-date documentation for the API was available. The
> page to which I have been referring
> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Cerebro) differs in quite a few places from
> what d-feet tells me is there in reality :)

Right again. This may take some time though as I'm currently plagued by
a thesis deadline :(

> Thanks again,
> Elliot

Pol