[sugar] Sugar mtg minutes, 24th July 2008

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Thu Jul 24 15:59:17 EDT 2008

Hi,

these are the minutes of today's sugar developer meeting. Please check
the minutes and complete what I may have missed.

http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Meetings#Thursday_July_24_2008_-_17.00_.28UTC.29

Thanks,

Tomeu

===== Update =====

People is working on bugs, Marco focused on Browse, he's back full
time in the team. Tomeu on miscellanea bugs, worked with Riccardo
Lucchese on performance (he's interning in OLPC this summer).
Sayamindu is planning future work on the Read and Terminal activities.

===== Change in the translation process =====

After changes that break the string freeze get into git, the
development team should notify the localization list, so the
localization team can update Pootle.

There are some worries about the frequent string freeze breaks, we
hope translators will understand and things will get better for the
next release.

===== Roadmap =====

David Farning suggested that some preliminary work happened on
identifying the areas that will be worked on in the next releases.
Benjamin Schwartz argued that people should focus completely on the
current release instead, and let future planning for later.

Three big areas of work that is sorely needed by deployments are
collaboration, performance and datastore. How can we improve stability
at the same time?

Benjamin thinks that we should focus for two weeks on planning, and
close all questions then.

Walter wants to see documents about the architecture of the datastore
and collaboration. Thinks that we should aim for 3 months of design
work that end up on a roadmap.

===== Status of bugfixing =====

Two major surprises lately: arabic support and provisions for
operating with full NAND.

Arabic support includes taking in account RTL in the UI layout, may
not land in 8.2.0.

Being resilient to NAND full situations is very important in Uruguay,
where machines that get full cannot boot until are reflashed. Several
options are open here and we are trying to reach consensus.

===== Introducing the new developers =====

No new developers :( Maybe next week!