[sugar] Remarks on the Work of Sugar

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Tue Jul 22 21:14:35 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 2:46 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
>> I disagree because I think that the approach we have taken has made it
>> much harder for others to help us. For a project like Sugar, this
>> ultimately results is less software of less quality in the same
>> timeframe. At least, that's what I take away from the Trac and xmonad
>> examples. (When you examine your own "notoriously easy-to-contribute-to
>> projects", do your conclusions match mine?)
>
> That's a tradeoff and a very difficult one. In retrospect I tend to
> think we invested too little on enabling contributions. But you should
> consider a few of things:

Michael's analysis is useful inasmuch we can read it going forward. As
Michael, I wasn't here 2 years ago, but I have been on the ground on
many projects under tight deadlines. It's not helpful to pontificate
on the decisions I may have made in them. Hindsight is always 20/20.

So let's focus on the bits of Michael's notes that can be transformed
into praxis going forward -- and let's be thankful that none of the
under-pressure decisions have really painted us into a corner (of the
"rewrite" kind).

Revisionism will have to wait till I get that time-travel machine
project finished.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions