[sugar] Write needs your help (was Re: Programming environments on the XO)

J.M. Maurer uwog
Sat Jul 19 17:43:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 10:16 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Bobby Powers <bobbypowers at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Marc is a bit of a perfectionist so I'm not sure how usable "95%" of the
> >> work is and whether it could be finished by simply using it and
> >> providing bug reports as needed would be.
> >
> > Is this something the community could help with?  I know myself and
> > maybe another person or two who would be willing to help if it was
> > clear what else needed to be done.

There is 1 issue in abiword's layout engine that prevents this from
being finished. Martin and I discussed it on IRC, and we might have a
way to do it.

It needs some more explicit designing before we should implement it
though.

As for me being a perfectionist: I don't want to allow hacks in the code
that fix a particular problem now, but will haunt us in the future :)

> Martin and Marc will know better about the syntax highlighting stuff,
> but if you can help with the very important activity that Write is,
> please consider properly packaging pyabiword for fedora (and other
> distros):
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WishList#OLPC_Wishlist
>
> We are using a _really_ old prerelease tarball of abiword:
> 2.6.0.svn20071127 . The Abi guys have already released 2.6.4 :/

I'm working on pushing proper packages in Fedora as we speak. It could
take a few days before it's finished as this is all spare time work.

AbiSource Corporation employees (read: me) can be hired though
*hint* :-)

  Marc