[sugar] Write needs your help (was Re: Programming environments on the XO)

Ryan Pavlik abiryan
Thu Jul 17 16:27:41 EDT 2008

Edward Cherlin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:

>>> I can do that. OK, Cyrillic works. I just entered every key on the
>>> layout, upper and lower case. I'll get you lots more writing systems
>>> later today. I am _not_ going to test every Chinese character %-[.
>>>
>> Which version are you testing? I would say that downloading an Abiword
>> binary 2.6.4 from abisource.com may be best, as that's the version
>> that I hope we'll use in Write for 8.2.0.
>>

> I'll see about that. Right now I am using Write 55-0ubuntu1, which
> doesn't say what version it is in those terms.
> http://abisource.com/wiki/Install_on_Ubuntu is out of date. It says
> 2.4.6 was in Gutsy, and that 2.6 should have been in Hardy, but what I
> see is Abiword 2.4.6-3ubuntu3. What actually happened?

That's not out of date: Ubuntu ships horribly outdated versions of
AbiWord.  For a recent (2.6 series) build follow those instructions to
add the PPA that we maintain.  (Yes, if you don't add our repository,
the most recent you can get is the same 2.4.6 that they've had for a
long time.)

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com