[sugar] Localization team

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Sun Jul 13 13:56:32 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 6:42 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 12:18 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> Any reason we don't have a localization team in the wiki? Any
>> volunteer to set it up?
>> Translations should really be handled upstream, so it's an area where
>> SugarLabs have to be very active.
>>
> Currently, Sayamindu Dasgupta is putting together an outstanding group
> of localizers at OLPC.
>
> We have enough work for our limited personal fixing what is broken
> without messing around with the bits that work;)
>
> Eventually, when organization outside of OPLC start localizing,
> Sayamindu might want to consider moving his project upstream.  The
> turning point will  likely be when Ubuntu starts shipping Sugar as a
> first class desktop.  When that happens our localizers will double
> overnight.
>
> I'll set up a team, but point translators to Sayamindu.  Sound
> reasonable?

Well, part of the translation process must be upstream. We are
checking in the translation in the upstream git and hence we need to
respect the upstream schedule.

I would personally encourage Sayamindu to start working upstream
already, for example by providing docs on how to translate
Glucose/activities on the sugarlabs wiki and by matching the pootle
groups with Glucose/Fructose modules list.

Do you see any downside with that approach?

I'm *not* suggesting to host pootle on sugarlabs.org yet.

Marco