[sugar] (another) WebKit port of Browse

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Mon Jul 7 17:56:05 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Bobby Powers <bobbypowers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I spent a couple hours yesterday taking out Gecko from Browse, and
> putting in WebKit.  Luckily, this was made easy by some PyWebKitGtk

Just repeating in public what I leaned over and told m_stone and cjb:

I'd rather see us just give up on Browse and ship and appropriately
configured Firefox.  I just can't see OLPC devoting enough developer
resources long-term to maintain a competitive browser.  I understand
that the major benefit of WebKit is speed and (memory, NAND) size.
I'd like to see a quantitative comparison against both our current
gecko-based browser and against firefox, so that we can make a more
informed decision re: whether it is still to our benefit to ship a
bespoke browser.
  --scott

(mstone reports that 'yum install firefox' and 'firefox' is a decent
basis for comparison, although we can tweak firefox's configuration
and package it as an RPM to get a nicer sugar look&feel if we really
wanted to pursue this route.)

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )