[sugar] offline moodle

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Wed Jul 2 17:23:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, after looking a bit deeper into it, AIR isn't entirely open source,
> though it uses open source parts which are interesting to us (sqlite for
> example)

Thanks for confirming that.

> Let's wait to see what Bryan from OLE Nepal has in mind in terms of the
> person he mentioned, and I can certainly help with that. I get the
> underlying architecture needed... and now understand why you looked into
> Gears for an offline app...

:-)

No need to wait. If you can help, feel free to make a start looking at
packaging GG in an RPM for the XO. This needs to happen, and that in
itself doesn't need many decisions or waiting for anyone. Have a look
at how Firefox (xpi?) packages are built and configured for Fedora 9,
and try to repro that ;-) If you hop on the fedora-devel mailing list,
and mention you are helping olpc, people will probably be keen to lend
a hand with packaging-related questions.

> Yep read most of the thread and understand the difference... though from a
> recent conversation with Colin, he seems much more inclined to do something
> along the lines of Gears and Sqlite now... I'll forward the mail your way so
> you can have a quick browse...

that's good to hear :-).  OU will deliver based on what they started -
and that's a good thing for their users.  It's not that compelling for
us as we already have excellent collab tools on the XO. Longer term, I
think they might hop on board  the GG train too. We have to be careful
to make it useful for XO and for others too, so those others help us
out.

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com