[sugar] Using Matplotlib in Measure Activity

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar
Thu Jan 31 12:38:01 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 01:32 -0500, Arjun Sarwal wrote:
> For some time I have been thinking about extending the functionality
> of Measure Activity into a tool that also allows for graphical
> analysis of data acquired not just from sensors/mic but data acquired
> from any source.
> (1) A standard format for data sets.
> (2) To allow for a variety of multiple views, representations and
> basically allowing more control over the way data is represented

What you are describing is precisely the plotter component of any
standard spreadsheet.  In my experience, plotting data  is by far the
most common use of spreadsheets by children.  I would welcome such an
Activity, and indeed, there is an effort to provide a spreadsheet for
OLPC.

I do not think is makes sense to merge measurement of signals with data
analysis.  I would suggest that "Measure Signals" and "Process Data"
should be separate activities, with an easy Keep-Resume path between
them.

--Ben