[sugar] Sugar Digest, Vol 19, Issue 10

Assim Deodia assim.deodia
Fri Jan 11 09:36:38 EST 2008

Hi yokoy,

We are developing a screen-reader application for XO. For TTS we have
implemented a dbus-glib based speech-server on XO which uses espeak
internally.

The methods exposed by D-BUS will be help applications to use speech-server
in a global fashion. And also this access will be very efficient as compared
to calling *os.system* commands. You would like to check this out
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Screen_Reader

We are currently in the process of deciding the final speech-server API's
which will take considerable amount of time.

I have made some changes in your program to demonstrate how speech-server
can be used by other applications for TTS. The API's used are temporary and
are subject to change.

To test this code first go to *screen-reader/sugar-speechd*
and do *./sugar-speechd*
After this start ELIZA as usual. And this will run on XO also.

--
With Regards
Assim Deodia