[sugar] how does an activity connect to the journal?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Thu Feb 28 11:43:15 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:
> tomeu wrote:
>   > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:
>
>  > >  ah -- okay -- the "Datastore" section says my app must store its
>   > >  complete state in the datastore, to let it show up in the journal.
>   > >  but i'm not sure what "complete state" means
>   >
>   > All the data that your activity needs to restore its UI and underlying
>   > model as it was when it was closed.
>
>  okay -- i'm beginning to understand the notion of "instance" more
>  completely, and the notion of any past instance in time being
>  resumable.  i didn't get that before.

Yeah, it's a very important concept and perhaps it's not clearly
stated in the wiki documentation. Do you have any idea about how to
improve this? Perhaps the HIG should make this clearer?

>   > >  -- that's pretty
>   > >  daunting, esp. for a program that already saves a lot of state in
>   > >  other ways.
>   >
>   > In which other ways? Can you elaborate?
>
>  well, like many existing non-sugar programs, this program creates
>  a subdirectory in $HOME and saves some state there.  it's a mapping
>  program, so things like current location on the map, current zoom
>  level, name of of the GPS route being followed, the current GPS
>  track, etc.  also per-user configuration:  personal landmarks,
>  trips, previously saved tracks, etc.  (this app is clearly a long
>  way from being sugarized, and probably never will be.)

Would make sense if the file in the activity entry would be a zip file
containing all other files?

Or those files would be somewhere else in $HOME and the entry would
contain only little bits of state?

<snip>

Tomeu