[sugar] Axis of time: up/down rather than right/left?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Mon Feb 25 11:13:20 EST 2008

This is an interesting idea, and we did toy with similar thoughts
early on in the design phase when we bumped up against exactly the
same inconsistencies that you mention.  In the end, we couldn't find
"suitable evidence" that such a change would actually be beneficial,
and so we kept with the "standard" metaphors.

For instance, with regard to a media player, the left and right time
metaphor is often useful since it maps directly to the motion of the
playhead within the graphical timeline which represents the length of
the song.  Of course, one might argue that you could turn that
sideways as well, but then you have to completely rethink the
positioning of the toolbars at the top vs. the side of the screen,
etc, and you'd have a bizarrely inconsistent experience between
multiple media activities and between activities and the browser as
well.

The undo/redo buttons don't have this problem.  There is another
potential point of confusion here too though.  If you were to, for
instance, turn the current icons on their side so that undo is an
arrow which reverses direction and points down, while redo is the
inverse, you'll notice that the shape of the redo icon looks like a
'U', which for me actually made me think "undo".  Obviously this is
language specific, but again, we weren't sure that its benefit would
outweigh keeping with tradition.

I'm certainly open to more arguments on both sides, if people have
thoughts.  As was mentioned, there is support for mirroring the
interface as well (we don't do this perfectly yet, but we should be
able to).

- Eben