[sugar] status of startup speedup

Bernardo Innocenti bernie
Sat Feb 9 22:14:31 EST 2008

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

>> * Why is it necessary to import gtk twice?
>
> Well, we import first in the parent process so the initialization is
> inherited by all children. The second time is just because we need to
> reopen the connection to X (and need a gtk name in that scope).

Has anybody looked into ways to prevent the gtk bindings
from doing this nonsense?

I remember somebody (cscott?) saying that Python 2.5 has some
way to pass arguments to modules being imported, so that one
could explicitly say "hey, pygtk, I want the sane init style"
and be backwards compatible with the old behavior.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/