[Sugar-devel] Activity page wiki location?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Dec 23 12:07:55 EST 2008

On 23 Dec 2008, at 12:37, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 13:32, Morgan Collett <morgan.collett at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 14:25, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Well, kids are right now getting their activities from the OLPC
>>> wiki.
>>> I think the plan of record is to set up a fork of addons.mozilla.org
>>> to replace the wiki-based system that is in use today.
>>>
>>> So if you want kids to get your activity today, I would keep using
>>> the
>>> workflow based on wiki.l.o, and later upload the bundle to
>>> addons.sugarlabs.org.
>>
>> I think Gary's question was (and if not, certainly mine is): Where
>> should we be documenting, or project-managing, the activity
>> development? For example, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Chat - should
>> this
>> migrate to http://sugarlabs.org/go/Chat?

My intent was to document the Labyrinth spin somewhere ~public so we
at least have some record should others want to go look or even
provide feedback, this could be either potential users or interested/
curious devs.

>> I have every intention of continuing to upload the .xo files to
>> wiki.laptop.org, so that they appear in [[Activities]] and
>> [[Activities/G1G1]] and [[Activities/All]] etc, as well as or until
>> addons.sugarlabs.org is suitably working, but that doesn't provide
>> documentation, planning or descriptions of how to get involved in a
>> specific activity.
>
> Oh, in that case it depends on who is your intended audience. If you
> want to address only to people involved in OLPC, then use the OLPC
> wiki, ml, trac, etc. If you want to address to all people involved in
> Sugar, then use the SL facilities.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu

The wiki.laptop.org text says that you should only add activities to
the official activity list pages (Activities/All is that space) if
it's considered "stable" (make up your own mind as to the quality of
that statement given some listed don't even launch), most activity
authors seem to usually start with an unlinked page for their activity
during the unstable phase.

Worth pointing out that there are quite a few such Activities off the
radar. For the curious the below link should show you all pages where
at least the author has used Category:Activities:

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Activities

Anyway, this unlinked page aproach was the plan for the Labyrinth
spin, until it has had some time to mature or die if someone pushes
for a better solution. I'll just go ahead and build a w.l.o/go/
Labyrinth page as it doesn't sound like SL is quite ready for Activity
wiki pages, and it'll be easy to migrate content when that time arrives.

--Gary