[Sugar-devel] Sugar 0.84 and 9.1 sync (was] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.84 Feature Freeze)

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 15:54:14 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 19:14, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On this:
>  > En gros: So, bugs that are unique to the OLPC distribution should go
>  > into OLPC trac. Other bugs should be filed upstream - in sugarlabs.org
>  > trac. This has the advantage that other distribution are aware of this
>  > as well and - more eyes watching, better chance it gets fixed.
>
> I don't know how we will separate bugs only relevant to XO from the
> rest. Can you give me some examples or criteria?
>
> Another option is to file everything Sugar related in your Trac and then
> people can push them back if they are deemed XO specific.

In my opinion, this is the reverse of what we planned for: File the
bug on the tracker relevant to the system you are testing. For
example, if someone finds a bug in Sugar on Ubuntu, the process is to
file a bug in the Ubuntu bug tracker. The team that does the Sugar
packaging on Ubuntu then check if it is Ubuntu-specific, and if not,
they refile it upstream and watch that bug report. When they see it is
fixed upstream, they then get that fix and (if possible) apply it to
the appropriate Ubuntu package. The same process would apply for Sugar
on Debian, Sugar on Fedora, etc.

Since OLPC is effectively another distribution, I think it makes the
most sense to do the same - namely, file bugs in dev.laptop.org as a
result of finding them in an OLPC build. If they are XO-specific
issues, they can usually be fixed by whoever is going to look after
the OLPC packaging of Sugar (on Fedora's OLPC-4 branch). If they are
relevant to all distributions, they can then be refiled in the Sugar
Labs bug tracker. The bug would probably be fixed in a future sucrose
release, say 0.83.3 for example. When it gets closed in the Sugar Labs
bug tracker, the OLPC packager can then get that release into a
joyride or release stream build, and when OLPC QA signs off on it,
close the dev.laptop.org bug.

> Are you going to copy all Sugar bugs from dev.laptop.org to your trac db?

I'd recommend that old bugs should be left on dev.laptop.org unless we
have a good reason to refile them on dev.sugarlabs.org. There are a
lot of them and we have valuable history there, including date filed
and all the comments.

I don't see how they can be auto-imported into dev.sugarlabs.org -
certainly we don't know which are OLPC-specific without looking at
each one.

> We should get the timing of that right so we don't update bugs in the
> wrong place and lose info.

If we do refile them, they will still exist on dev.laptop.org, and the
Sugar Labs bug would represent the work necessary upstream in Sugar to
fix the problem, and the OLPC bug would represent the work to get that
into an OLPC build and QA it.