[Sugar-devel] Activity packaging problems

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Dec 20 08:35:29 EST 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 01:30:30PM +0100, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>I listed all the problems I'm aware of, which are currently blocking
>activities packaging:
>
>http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Activities_packaging
>
>If you are packaging activities and you run into any (non distribution
>specific) issue, please add to the list.

A common issue (so not sure how to best apply it) is copyright and
licensing info for translations.

Some translations lack such info completely.

Some translations have boilerplate info like this:

# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
# Copyright (C) YEAR THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER
# This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE package.
# FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL at ADDRESS>, YEAR.

Technically distributors must then in principle respect that the file is
owned by "YEAR THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER" who have licensed the
file similar to "PACKAGE" which does not exist so the file is not FLOSS.

The package maintainer should edit the .pot file to replace these:

  SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE
  THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER
  PACKAGE

When that is done, they should get in contact with each translator to
make them adopt that improved boilerplate and themselves replace these:

  FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL at ADDRESS>
  YEAR

When doing above, it makes good sense to also tidy the gettext hints to
have proper info too, but that is just nice-to-have for semi-automated
processing, not crucial as the licensing problem.

I am aware that pootle is used for most translation, and that it does
not currently handle above properly. Using a machine to help collect
translations unfortunately cannot excuse licensing issues, so until
pootle can automate it, I believe it is needed to fix the boilerplate by
hand.

I am also aware that this whole issue might seem too anal to some.
Indeed, not all distributors are equally anal/relaxed about licensing.
And Debian (where I work) is probably at the "hysterical" end of that
scale.

You may decide to simply ignore this as too much work for too little
gain, but please beware that then the translation efforts will not reach
all users of your software, as anal distributors will have to strip
wrongly licensed translations from their systems.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --