[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.84 Feature Freeze

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Dec 19 14:45:01 EST 2008

Greg Smith wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Thanks for the follow up! You are definitely welcome at every 9.1
> planning meeting as is everybody who is interested in working on the
> next major software release for the XO. Consider yourself personally
> invited :-)

:)

> I added a line to the 9.1.0 schedule to note 0.83 freeze. See:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0_requirements#Schedule

Great.

> That schedule needs a lot of work which I hope we can track in our
> weekly meeting.
>
> On this:
>  > dev.laptop.org should have bugs that are only relevant to the OLPC
>  > platform in the future. Currently, I guess there are still some bugs
>  > that other distributions would profit as well
>
> I'm still not quite clear. Let me ask it this way. I want to list,
> triage, prioritize and track all the important bugs for XO Software
> Release 9.1.0. That includes the Sugar bugs. Which trac system do I use
> for that? Maybe both?

En gros: So, bugs that are unique to the OLPC distribution should go
into OLPC trac. Other bugs should be filed upstream - in sugarlabs.org
trac. This has the advantage that other distribution are aware of this
as well and - more eyes watching, better chance it gets fixed.

Then there are different ways of tracking. You could file a bug at olpc
trac and that then traces the changes of the upstream bug for example.
We discussed different ways it in our last BugSquad meeting
http://sugarlabs.org/go/BugSquad/Meetings/Minutes/2008-12-17. I am sure
we will figure out the details with mel in the upcoming weeks.

> On release notes, features and this:
>  > Time left is short for this release. What we are currently working on
>  > can be seen in our development TODO list
>  > http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/TODO.
>
> Our QA needs to know what bugs and features will be in the release
> before the release is done in order to be able to test them in advance.
> If I understand correctly, you only post the feature list in the release
> notes after its final.

We have 6 to stabilize weeks after feature freeze. I hope that this is a
decent amount of time to do the testing. By then, you know for sure what
features are exactly in. If you want to start testing before, you need
to take the information provided in the release announcements - those
list all the fixes that went in.

> Where can I get a list of things that QA (volunteer or otherwise) should
> test before we finish?

see above

> Let me know if those questions are not clear or you need any more info.

> BTW I'm not complaining. Your documentation is definitely getting better
> and I appreciate the work everyone is doing. I'm just trying to work out
> the details so we can make another quality release.

Sure, please keep asking.

Best,
    Simon