[Sugar-devel] [RELEASE] Etoys 4.0

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Dec 16 18:28:26 EST 2008

(resent with new download URLs and a bit more prose)

Hi folks,

this is the first release of Etoys 4.0. The major version jump
signifies the end of our two-year relicensing effort.

Originally released in 1996, Apple relicensed the Squeak core under
the Apache 2.0 license in October 2006 - thanks to Steve, Alan, and
the lawyers involved. Then, Viewpoints Research collected written
relicensing agreements from several hundred later contributors under
the MIT license - thanks to Kim, and the Squeak community volunteers.
Finally, all the code in Etoys not explicitly covered by a relicensing
agreement was removed, or rewritten, or reverted to an earlier version
- kudos to Yoshiki for the bulk of that work.

Looking forward to see Etoys properly packaged in more distros now :)

We may have broken stuff while removing and rewriting, so please
report any oddities you notice.

Note: Etoys comes in two parts, one is the base (in Sugar Glucose, but
will actually run on all platforms given a  recent Squeak virtual
machine) and one the activity bundle (in Fructose). Following the
naming conventions the lower-case "etoys" package is the base while
the activity is capitalized as "Etoys".

== Sources ==

http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/etoys/etoys-4.0.2201.tar.gz

http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/fructose/Etoys/Etoys-97.tar.gz

== Packaged ==

http://etoys.laptop.org/rpms/etoys-4.0.2201-1.noarch.rpm

http://etoys.laptop.org/rpms/Etoys-97.xo

== News ==

* removed/reverted/rewrote all methods not covered by Apache/MIT license
* various fixes (#8928, #8929, #8879, #9058, and others)

- Bert (for the Etoys team) -