[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2008-12-15

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Dec 16 07:43:51 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 18:34, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

>>> An issue to consider is the feasibility of building Sugar on Gnome
>>> Mobile.  Gnome is currently working on defining and branding Gnome
>>> Mobile.
>>>
>>> The biggest advantage would be the reduction in foot print.  I have
>>> not looked into it far enough to know if gnome mobile provides the
>>> necessary services to support Sugar.
>>
>> I think we should be at least quite close, and you are right that
>> could be quite interesting to get sugar to run well on existing GNOME
>> Mobile distros, specially with all those MIPS and ARM-based netbooks
>> coming soon.
>>
>> And we'll have to keep working on reducing Sugar's memory footprint.
>>
> Tomue,
>
> Do you have time to look into this?  If it looks workable? We can
> start looking for Gnome developer with an interest in education:)

Once we solve this: http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/28 I think we are
pretty well. I already had it in my todo list.

Other issues to check are dependencies on HAL and OHM, though those
should be pretty self contained and easy to fall back on something
else if those components are not available, though both are being
considered for inclusion into the GNOME Mobile platform.

Is there any hw platform for which already exists a linux distro with
all the GNOME Mobile components and for which we want Sugar ported to?

Regards,

Tomeu