[Sugar-devel] One instance activity

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Dec 16 08:29:17 EST 2008

Hi Pablo,

2008/12/16 Pablo Posada <pablo.posada at tcs.com>:

> Thank you all for your answers.
>
> What i am actually facing is a problem with a sugarizing. I need to run the
> script, copy-to-Journal.py from a C program.

If what you want is to exec copy-to-journal.py from gnumeric, then
using one of the functions listed in the link below may be best:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/2.18/glib-Spawning-Processes.html

> 1 - With "exec dbus-launch CActivity $args" in the sugarActivity file, i can
> run multiple instances but i cant run the script. It crashes throwing a
> python error. In olpc wiki says that the scripts only works running with
> olpc user. I dont know if the dbus-launch changes something in the way the
> scripts are called.
>
> Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.AttributeError: Traceback (most recent
> call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/service.py", line 692, in
> _message_cb
>     retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/olpc/datastore/datastore.py", line
> 215, in create
>     mp.create_async(props, filelike, can_move=transfer_ownership,
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'create_async'

What is happening here is that dbus-launch creates a new session bus
and tries to activate a new instance of the datastore, which fails to
open the index because the existing datastore instance is locking it.
Why are you calling dbus-launch?

> 2 - But changing it to "exec CActivity $args" the scripts run perfect, but
> the second instance of the activity throws an "error when trying to load or
> save configuration... "
>   Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS error: Method
> "LookupExtended"
>        with signature "ssb" on interface "org.gnome.GConf.Database" doesn't
> exist

Not sure why you get this error, even less only on the second
instance, but you can check if that method exists with the given
signature by getting the introspection data in the way explained in
the link below:

http://unmaintainable.wordpress.com/2006/12/19/using-dbus-introspection/

HTH,

Tomeu