[Sugar-devel] One instance activity

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Tue Dec 9 21:57:02 EST 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 09.12.2008, at 18:55, Eben Eliason wrote:
>
>> Are you sure?  Browse makes use of shared code, but still presents the
>> user with the appearance of multiple instances.
>
> Right.
>
> The way to do it would be to create a unique D-Bus service in your
> activity. When the second instance tries to create that service it
> will notice that it already exists. It could then notify its first
> instance via said D-Bus service.

you don't need to use D-Bus for this, it can be done by X without any
other communication channels.

I don't know the details for how to do this, but I've seen mozilla/firefox
do this for a few years. to see this start firefox on one machine, connect
to another machine and point the display back to the first one. then try
and start firefox on that second machine. the end result will be a new
window opening up, but running on the first machine (if you have trouble
seeing the difference, make the two machines have different bookmarks, or
give one network access that the other doesn't have)

please don't develop new mechanisms to do things that already exist.

David Lang