[Sugar-devel] Wacom Bamboo with XO?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Dec 8 16:59:08 EST 2008

On 8 Dec 2008, at 13:02, Chris Marshall wrote:

> [...]
>>  <mailto:jns-cmarshall at comcast.net>> wrote:
>>    Gary C Martin wrote:
>>        On 7 Dec 2008, at 00:58, Wade Brainerd wrote:
>>            Okay, Colors! v11 supports Wacom tablets, with pressure
>>            sensitivity.
>>            Instructions for setup are on the activity page, it's
>> really
>>            pretty
>>            simple.
>>            OLPC folks, it might be nice to update xorg-dcon.conf to
>>            support Wacom
>>            tablets, and to include the linuxwacom package in
>> builds.  I
>>            think
>>            that deployments would be well served to have a few cheap
>>            graphics
>>            tablets available for art classes, etc.  If you're
>>            interested, the
>>            Colors! activity bundle contains the fixed xorg-dcon.conf.
>>            http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Colors!
>>            -Wade
>>        Hey Wade, sounds great! Unfortunately I'm not having any luck
>>        here  with an XO running 8.2-767 and an Intuos model Wacom
>>        tablet. Any one  else had any success?
>>        BTW: After yum has installed linuxwacom.i386 0:0.7.9.8-6.fc9,
>>        the  additions to xorg-dcon.conf made, and a reboot just to
>> make
>>        sure – If  I go look in /dev/input/ I still see no wacom
>> device
>>        listed.
>>        --Gary
>>    This is great news but it did not work on my setup:
>>    os767 with a BambooFun tablet.
>>    I do not see any entries for the wacom in /dev/input
>>    and a wacdump of all the possible /dev/input/event#
>>    entries showed all unknown.
>>    For my yum install it pulled the same version as Gary
>>    reported.
>>     Had you done some previous installs that might have
>>     done addition configuration or driver installs?
>>     What version linuxwacom do you have?
>>     What /dev/input entries?]
>>     What do you see with wacdump for them?
>>    Also, the sudo cp of the xorg-dcon.conf from the Colors!
>>    instructions does not have the '!' in it and will not
>>    work.  I had do su to run the command and escape the
>>    '!' as a history expansion character with a backslash.
>>    I was not able to get a combination of escapes that
>>    would work with the sudo emulation...
>>    --Chris
>> Odd, thanks for the reports!  I already fixed the Wiki
>> instructions. I'm not sure what's different about my system, it's
>> mostly stock 767.  I had previously installed pgf's wacom.ko using
>> insmod:
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~pgf/wacom.ko
>> to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/input/
>> However, I assumed that the yum install linuxwacom overwrote it.
>> Perhaps not though, I'm new to Linux kernel modules.  Try grabbing
>> and installing that kernel module, and see if it magically works.
>
> That was the missing step to the instructions.
> I downloaded wacom.ko, did an insmod wacom.ko

Want to report that the wacom.ko from Paul was also the final step in
bringing my Wacom Intuos to life. Is there some magic trick to getting
it to the insmod wacom.ko after a reboot (I have to run it again after
each boot)? I'm sure this is standard kernel hacker fodder, but not
something I dabble with much.

Great to see this working!! How's best to get this into the 9.1
distro? Does this need a ticket to get formal attention?

--Gary