[Sugar-devel] Sugar Journal activity

Gabriel Hurley gabriel.hurley at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 19:07:20 EST 2008

After having used the Journal for quite some time, I have some
recommendations that I think would improve its usefulness.

   1. *Category view*.* *I know that the idea of the Journal is to avoid the
   file-folder metaphor, but the ability to organise activities into groups
   would be very useful. For example, a child might be drawing pictures and
   writing a report for a Science class. Instead of searching for these things
   individually, he/she can click on a drop-down menu and select "Science
   Class" and all the activities that were added for this category are
   immediately visible. Already, activities can be filtered by Text, Image,
   Audio, etc. The ability to define and organise activities into categories
   would make the Journal more useful.
   2. *Selective automatic saving.* Some activities, like the Moon Activity,
   do not involve the user creating anything worth keeping. Yet every time they
   are launched, another instance of "Moon Activity" is added to the Journal.
   This could lead to increased clutter and (over time) less disk space. To fix
   this, the Journal should have a control to select which activities and
   objects are automatically saved and which are not.

Finally, I think every open activity should have a "Throw-Out" icon next to
the Stop Sign icon. Clicking this would close the activity and remove it
from the Journal.

Thank you for considering my suggestions. If you have any questions about
them or see any issues, please contact me and I will try to clarify.

Yours Sincerely,
Gabriel Hurley