[sugar] Landing patches about the network devices UI

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu
Mon Aug 25 10:36:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Martin Dengler
<martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 02:19:02PM +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> we have a couple of patches that should be ready to be reviewed by
>> tomorrow, which solves several issues with the UI of network devices.
> [...]
>> 1 Adds "IP address" to the mesh & wireless palettes, with associated
>>   changes to their model classes.
>
> Note this - part of #2866 - currenlty introduces one new string: "IP
> Address".  I'd argue this should be un-translated/localized if this is
> a problem.
>
> What should I do?

One of the problems with keeping strings untranslateable is that it
looks awkward (visually) when the user is using a non Latin script
(eg: Arabic, or Japanese, or Devanagari). The visual inconsistency can
be even more jarring in case of RTL locales.  I would say that this be
made translateable, and I'm sure that the localization list would
agree to a string freeze break for this. Localization list - any
counter arguments on this ?

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--