[sugar] 0.84 goals

Gary C Martin gary
Fri Aug 15 13:00:03 EDT 2008

On 15 Aug 2008, at 15:57, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

>>> Why not let accessing of *deferred* Activities be handled by
>>> Journal ?
>>
>> Because it involves an extra step or two that in practice people
>> don't
>> take. Personally, I would even go to the extreme that the Home View
>> should by default open the most recent Journal entry.
>
> I'll be the first to admit that the current implementation of
> Journal is cumbersome.  But if it is possible to add palette entries
> to Activity icons on Home view (for resuming something), it ought to
> be possible to add similar "short cuts" on the Journal screen.
>
> I can get to the Home view by pressing the 'Home view' key on the
> keyboard.  I can get to Journal by pressing the 'Journal' key on the
> keyboard.  For me, going to the Journal takes no more steps than
> going to Home View.  [And since Home view provides alternate ways of
> presenting its information, why oughtn't Journal provide alternate
> ways of presenting *its* information (including a clickable "short
> cut" listing of the most recently saved Activities) ?]
>
> I was speaking from the point of view of *defining* the purpose of
> the Home view.  If 'resume' is there, should 'erase' be there also
> -- what if the user mis-positions his click ?
>
> --------
>
> I'm a procedure-oriented person, not an object-oriented person.  So
> it has taken me effort to mentally construct a role for the Journal.
> If "short cuts" to the most-recent uses of the Activities are
> provided elsewhere, why bother having a Journal in the first place ?

OK, how about...

Think of an iceberg, where the home view will expose just the tip of
recent activity; it's the working set of recent work. The journal then
provides a deep, below the waterline, historical view/context for when
you need to find that photo/assay/painting from a few days to months
back; The journal can have the extra UI details needed to perform
these deep search/filtering, and maintenance activities (add tags,
description, rename, star, copy to flash mem stick, erase). The home
view can then keep a clean UI focus on your recent*** working set.

***with the top frame being the immediate view of 'right now'.

--Gary