[sugar] 0.84 goals

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Fri Aug 15 10:57:04 EDT 2008

>> Why not let accessing of *deferred* Activities be handled by Journal ?
>
> Because it involves an extra step or two that in practice people don't
> take. Personally, I would even go to the extreme that the Home View
> should by default open the most recent Journal entry.

I'll be the first to admit that the current implementation of
Journal is cumbersome.  But if it is possible to add palette entries
to Activity icons on Home view (for resuming something), it ought to
be possible to add similar "short cuts" on the Journal screen.

I can get to the Home view by pressing the 'Home view' key on the
keyboard.  I can get to Journal by pressing the 'Journal' key on the
keyboard.  For me, going to the Journal takes no more steps than
going to Home View.  [And since Home view provides alternate ways of
presenting its information, why oughtn't Journal provide alternate
ways of presenting *its* information (including a clickable "short
cut" listing of the most recently saved Activities) ?]

I was speaking from the point of view of *defining* the purpose of
the Home view.  If 'resume' is there, should 'erase' be there also
-- what if the user mis-positions his click ?

--------

I'm a procedure-oriented person, not an object-oriented person.  So
it has taken me effort to mentally construct a role for the Journal.
If "short cuts" to the most-recent uses of the Activities are
provided elsewhere, why bother having a Journal in the first place ?

mikus