[sugar] Release Cycle - Period

David Farning dfarning
Thu Aug 14 23:44:14 EDT 2008

The first step in establishing a release cycle will be setting the
period.

Here again, I think that we all agree in principle on a sixth month
cycle.

>From Sugar Labs perspective the actual time period is quite arbitrary.
The lower bound is how quickly we can effectively iterate through the
innovate-stabilize-release cycle.  The upper limit is how long we can go
before a release becomes stale.

>From a Redhat perspective something that lines up with the Fedora
release cycle makes sense.

>From a OLPC perspective the issue is more complicated.  The cost benefit
analysis boils down to the cost of pushing a new release vs. the benefit
gained by improvements in the new release minus the cost of supporting
each additional release.  I will happily leave the math on that on to
Jim;)

With these facts in mind, Sugar Labs doing six month releases seems
optimal.  OLPC can pick up releases bases on their needs.

thanks
dfarning