[sugar] [OLPC Security] P_READ_LOGS

Bastien bastienguerry
Mon Aug 11 10:07:16 EDT 2008

Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> writes:

>> The easiest way to present logs, especially failure logs, is to make them
>> available through the standard Journal/Datastore interface.  For example,
>> we have some agreement that when an Activity fails to launch, the failure
>> should appear as such in the Journal time-view, connected to an object
>> representing the log file for that failure.  This log object has a "text"
>> type, and so can naturally be opened by any Activity that accepts this
>> type.  No additional permissions are required.  The user is responsible
>> for determining when to provide both sensitive data and P_NETWORK to the
>> same Activity.
>
> I find the Journal interface to be cumbersome.  I also do not
> believe the Journal ought to be cluttered up with "footprints"
> a kid would probably not be able to do anything about.   -1.

I also think failure logs don't naturally fit into the current Journal.
They are a non-desirable side-effect of an activity, not an activity per
se.

But it could fit okay into the next versions of the Journal, where some
kind of pre-filtering would let the user see only the most important
entries for him.  Failure logs would then be low-level entries, along
with other logs (particularily mail logs, when we'll have a native mail
client on the XO.)

--
Bastien