[sugar] How do I connect to a Jabber server ?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Tue Aug 5 13:30:32 EDT 2008

Morgan wrote:
>> My _wish_ is simple:  I want a chance to contact (for Chat, or for
>> collaboration) another XO at a different location.  Basically, for
>> me to initiate that, that other XO's icon needs to be shown in my
>> Neighborhood view.
>
> Therefore you (and the people you want to contact) need to be on a
> community jabber server

You are talking about how to *use* a jabber server once one is
connected.  I do not *have* a connected jabber server.

> To see people from remote locations, you need to be on the same Jabber
> server as they are.
>
> That requires:
> * Internet access - via an Access Point, or over the mesh via a school
> server, or over the mesh via a Mesh Portal Point XO which in turn has
> access, or even via some dialup technology like bluetooth+GPRS.
> * Network Manager to get an IP address
> * A jabber server to be configured
> * That server to be working
> * Other people to be on the server.

What I an aware of is:

  (1)  Months ago, I would boot my XO, and other XO icons would show
       up in my neighborhood view (from whatever jabber server I had
       specified via sugar-control-panel).  Then "remote users"
       stopped showing up (no matter which server I had specified).

  (2)  I do not myself know enough about 'telepathy', etc., to be
       able to figure out what is going wrong.  That is why I am
       asking for assistance.

[I'm a G1G1 user, and do not have a Mesh Portal Point to use, nor a
school server.  Except for me not connecting to a jabber server, the
internet works well for me.]

> Connecting to an AP disables the mesh, so I don't see the value of
> what you want. Turning off the mesh while you are connected to a mesh
> channel would simply (in the proposal) turn the wireless radio off
> completely, resulting in neither gabble nor salut able to operate.

Then I believe the language being used is imprecise.  To me,
"turning off the mesh" means turning off the __mesh__.  If what is
actually being turned off is the __radio__, then call it "turning
off the wireless radio".

What I keep butting my head against is not being able to *control*
what is going on.  In my mind a 'mesh' is one interface, and an 'AP'
is another interface.  I would like to "turn off the mesh" when
there are no local XOs, and no school server.  You are saying that
the 'AP' would get turned off as well.  Not something I prefer.

> Mikus, tickets and logs, logs and tickets.

The last time I focused on connectivity was Apr/May.  What I
concluded then was that my tickets got closed depending on the
effect they had on the code -- *not* on whether I as a user could
now experience consistent system behavior.

I'm willing to file a ticket when I see something happening -- such
as an error when accessing a Jabber server (though one such ticket
was closed as 'invalid' - because that particular server had not
given the expected answer).  But it is difficult to decide what to
ticket/log when I do not see something happening -- for instance,
what if a connection to a Jabber server were never attempted by my XO?

Besides, I post from home - where I do not have a wireless AP.  To
try anything, I have to go somewhere else, where I do not have
access to my notes, etc.  Not easy for me to record details.
[You ask "which establishment provided the AP?"  Does it *really*
make a difference to you whether it was an establishment on 1st
street, or one on 6th street ???]

> The mesh and the AP are mutually exclusive.
>
> gabble and salut are independent of the network topology.

I'm sorry, but these memes have been said so many different ways
that they no longer convey any information to me.  If taking down
the mesh can take down the AP, how can they be exclusive?  If salut
listens on the mesh, isn't that a dependence on there being a mesh?

mikus