[sugar] video bleeds through somewhat between sessions

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Mon Aug 4 17:21:58 EDT 2008

>> When I am looking at the (full-screen) video output, if what I see
>> involves a 'video overlay' -- that's fine with me.  But when I
>> "switch away" from the 'session' displaying the video output, I
>> don't want "interference" to what I'm currently looking at (whether
>> that interference comes from a 'video overlay', or from whatever).
>
> Then the video application needs to stop the video or change the
> demensions of the overlay window.  The hardware is only doing what
> it is told to do.

I think you and I are agreed on the undesirability of having the
video affect what is currently shown on the XO screen, when the user
has caused what is now being shown on that screen to be taken from a
'session' other than the 'session' containing the video application.

But the video *application* typically does not know if the user is
looking at its "output screen", or not.  At best, the operating
system which lets the user __switch__ to a different 'session',
could send a "signal" to the transferred_away_from session -- but
even if told, does the video *application* support changing its
video output ?

I'm thinking of the example provided by the X-window system -- when
one (non-transparent) window has the focus, it somehow PREVENTS
having users see the content of whatever is "behind".  Maybe the
facility used to draw XO screens can similarly PREVENT having users
see any content of whatever 'sessions' are NOT being shown.

mikus