[sugar] patch for a first boot launch of a Help activity

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Fri Aug 1 01:23:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:29 PM, FFM <ffm at laptop.org> wrote:

> Maybe somewhere in the frame (forever, thus able to provide contextual
> assistance in the future), or as a throbbing icon on the home view (just
> for
> the first launch)?

All of our initial discussions on help focused around a contextual help
system, and I still hope that this is where we'll be taking this in the
future.  By embedding (?) icons within the secondary palette menus for
various devices, objects, activities, and even individual buttons and
controls, we can provide a way to launch into the help activity and dive
directly to the relevant info for the activity, control, etc. selected.  In
addition, I'd like to support a community driven help system by which, in
addition to the activity/olpc provided help, it's possible for kids to add
tips, tricks, images, tutorials, and other info to these sections for later
consumption by peers.

This is a noble, but ambitious goal, which is why a simple and static help
activity is the present solution, and why it's only integrated into the
system at a single point - the activity itself.

- Eben