[sugar] perceived sugar performance

Wade Brainerd wadetb
Tue Apr 29 18:11:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We should ban banners, really :)
>
> The two points that makes our feedback different from a banner are:
>
> * It reinforces the zoom metaphor.
> * It deals with the problem of children clicking on 2-3 activities at
> the same time, which proved to be a real issue in the field (will
> faster activities address this? not sure).

I think Eben's got a great plan.  The iPhone does something similar, when
you hit say the "Clock" icon on the home screen you are instantly zoomed
into a static representation of the UI, which populates in a few seconds
once the program launches.  Overall, it gives the impression of high
performance and instant feedback, when the reality may not be that.

I also like how it deals with the problem of clicking more activities while
some are already launching, I have succumbed to that before :)

Ultimately this combined with 2-3 second launching should provide a
perfectly good experience.  Perhaps for the power users, shift-click could
mean "launch this activity in the background"?

-Wade