[sugar] perceived sugar performance

Paul Fox pgf
Tue Apr 29 14:15:54 EDT 2008

michael wrote:
 > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 01:42:04PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > in the "time i'd have otherwise wasted is free" department, is
 > > there currently (or planned) a mechanism to always launch
 > > designated activities (either fixed choices, or choices based on
 > > recent journal entries) at startup?
 >
 > Personally, I have found extensible autostart mechanisms which process
 > third-party data to be more useful to trojan authors than to users so
 > I'm mildly inclined to consider such mechanisms to be a misfeatures

really?  i'm not sure where the "third-party" data comes into it.  i
suppose with browse, maybe, but my .xsession has started two xterms on
my desktop for many years, and i've never considered it a security
issue.  just a time-saver.

 > That being said, I'm quite interested in the tradeoff that you raise
 > between finishing boot quickly so that the user can start doing what
 > they want to do and extending boot with "expensive" precomputations so
 > that (on average), the user gets to perform individual actions more
 > quickly.

the longer the boot time, the more it makes sense, because
there's more chance that i'll be off getting coffee while it all
happens, rather than waiting.  (conversely, if boot time were
very short, there would be little need for auto-start except as a
convenience function, much like a function key is purely for
convenience.)

 > Also, where does hibernation fit in your taxonomy?

i'd think that's pretty different -- coming out of hibernation
should leave the system exactly as it was when it went in.
(unless i'm misunderstanding.)

paul