[sugar] perceived sugar performance

Michael Stone michael
Tue Apr 29 13:59:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 01:42:04PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> in the "time i'd have otherwise wasted is free" department, is
> there currently (or planned) a mechanism to always launch
> designated activities (either fixed choices, or choices based on
> recent journal entries) at startup?

Personally, I have found extensible autostart mechanisms which process
third-party data to be more useful to trojan authors than to users so
I'm mildly inclined to consider such mechanisms to be a misfeatures
rather than features. Based on this assessment, my direct answer to your
question is simply "no, such a feature is not currently planned."

That being said, I'm quite interested in the tradeoff that you raise
between finishing boot quickly so that the user can start doing what
they want to do and extending boot with "expensive" precomputations so
that (on average), the user gets to perform individual actions more
quickly.

Also, where does hibernation fit in your taxonomy?

Regards,

Michael

P.S. - Thanks for writing!