[sugar] replace/normalize some keyboard shortcuts

Martin Dengler martin
Tue Apr 29 13:54:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:02:47PM -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> Eben wrote:
> > I'm certainly all for removing alt-n and alt-p.  We don't need
> > redundant shortcuts here, and alt-tab and alt-shift-tab will work fine
>
> I disagree with alt-n and alt-p not considered useful.  Either can
> be done using TWO fingers.  Needing three fingers for backwards-tab
> navigation is quite awkward for me.

FWIW I agree with Eben/others that alt-n/p are too invasive (likely to
be used/desired by activity writers) and redundant to justify
overcoming the awkwardness that all the other major WMs have decided
isn't too much to force on users (the three fingered back-window
keyboard shortcut).

> [I don't actually care how you set the defaults -- I customize
> keyhandler.py on my XO for my own preferences anyway (and if that
> makes it more difficult for someone else to use my XO, I'd rather
> make things easier for me than avoid customization).]

Can you suggest any ideas as to how we might be able to allow you to
do this more easily, without having to change keyhandler.py?  The
naive, straw man would be a ~/.sugar/keybindingsrc (and corresponding
/etc/sugar-keybindingsrc) with ini file syntax...  I'm interested in
making this customization easier.

> > In general, I would say that it's silly to use basic shortcuts for
> > actions that have a dedicated button on the XO (rotate, frame)
>
> Whenever I'm at home, I plug an USB keyboard into my XO.  It is not
> silly for me to assign an unused F-key to 'frame' - again, that is
> something that makes using the XO easier for me.

This is another good use case justifying customization.

> mikus

Martin