[sugar] Sugar\Windows won't ship

Walter Bender walter.bender
Mon Apr 28 10:06:21 EDT 2008

I must have missed the post you refer to. It has never been the
position of the core Sugar team--that I am aware of--to preclude the
running of standard Linux apps. We even went so far as to hire a
contractor to look at various ways to facilitate the running of
standard X apps last summer---although that work was never completed
or brought into the main branch.

Albert, among others, has shown that in fact it is not difficult to
wrap existing apps in a Sugar wrapper, but this is still one step away
from where we'd like to be. (Last summer's proposal was to be able to
switch back and forth to a non-Sugar desktop within the window
manager. Indeed, the discussion about investigating ion or awesome as
alternative window managers are in part intended to address this
issue.) That said, as John points out, there are some other
high-priority tasks, such as rewriting the Datastore--something Ivan
had been working on before he left--and working on improved
performance, as per Bernie's recent post.

So, let's see if we can do a better job for standard Linux apps than
Benjamin has recently done for Windows apps--you should try his Wine
activity. (Note that he made some deliberate--and probably
correct--trade-offs  by deciding to minimize any integration with the
Datastore, while keeping clipboard compatibility.

-walter