[sugar] jumpy cursor problem and sugar issue

Ryan Pavlik abiryan
Sun Apr 27 09:48:44 EDT 2008

Arjun Sarwal wrote:
> Bryan,
>
> Similar issues were dominant at the India pilot too...
>
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Day 3 of the pilots at Bishwamitra and Bashuki and couple of issues have
>>  come up
>>
>>  1. We are having a lot of trouble w/ jumpy cursors. You know where the
>>  touchpad behaves erratically. Is there an easy fix to this problem?
>>
>>  we are using build 703, MP machines, and firmware Q2d14. We have the
>>  kids hold down the 4 corner buttons as recommended in the XO user guide
>>  but that doesn't seem to consistently fix the problem.
>>

> I thought there was a fix in Update.1 for the jumpy mouse bug ?
>
> Other than that, we had observed that the touchpad behaved differently
> because many kids chose to use a larger/smaller area of their fingers.
> Since this is a capacitive touchpad, perhaps that has got something to
> do with the amount of finger area in contact, or the amount of
> pressure that one puts (some kids chose to press harder and harder on
> the touchpad when they couldn't seem to get the cursor under control)
> ?
>

>>  Dust is an issue at the schools but that can't explain the high rate of
>>  jumpy cursors. Please assist
>>

> We didn't find any direct relation with dust as such. Humidity, and
> sweaty fingers, though, did seem to make things consistently
> difficult.

I don't know if it works with the XO's, but I know that a useful
workaround for laptop touchpad in general is that if it doesn't work
well/smoothly, put a piece of paper over it.  A "post it" works well.

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com