[sugar] {OLPC Nepal} Re: [FOSSNepal] Re: Report: OLPC may eventually switch from Linux to Windows XP

Ankur Sharma yowlanku
Thu Apr 24 11:40:07 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bibek Paudel <eternalyouth at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM
Subject: {OLPC Nepal} Re: [FOSSNepal] Re: Report: OLPC may eventually switch
from Linux to Windows XP
To: foss-nepal at googlegroups.com, olpcnepal at googlegroups.com,
nepal at lists.laptop.org

Hi all,
While I personally think it is bad for OLPC to switch to Windows XP,
here a few observations that I have made:

1. Any development/education project meant for third world countries
is best when it is natively grown. A top down approach where some guy
in Boston teaches us how to change things in our neighbourhood is
never likely to understand and respect our situation and problems. He
has other priorities. A bottom-up approach should be devised where
grassroot organizations from different parts of the world collaborate
to form a mother organization that works in their benefit. Compare
this to Nepal's political situation where every other politician/media
claims to represent the people and be working for them. Things won't
that way in technology too.

2. Nicholas Negroponte is a man hungry of some position in history of
business and humanity, both. He thinks increasing the sales of laptops
is more important than the growing impact it is creating. Selling a
qarter of a million of laptops is a success by any means for any
profit-organization. I don't understand how it is not sufficient in
case of a first-of-its-kind project by a non-profit organization.

3. Nicholas Negroponte doesn't care. Using Windows in XOs has many
implications. Besides cost and the performance of the laptops, it
means you are forcing a company's products on all children. Compare
that to a government policy whereby it makes every school going
children mandatory to wear dresses from a certain dress-designing
company or study books from a certain publisher (eg. Ekta publishers).
Thats why we have a government book publisher and curriculum designer
in Nepal and government can't recommend any other books. I don't
understand how someone can impose the monopoly of using a
vendor-specific software on all kids. And why governments all over the
world should abide by that.

4. The issue of "amorphic" development of XO as said by Negroponte is
at best ridiculous. Having the best of the world's technology,
engineers and money at MIT, it shocks me how he allowed a project of
OLPC's scale fall at the hands of people who neither could have a good
architect for the software or the capacity to develop them
"morphically". Had he never heard of the term "software engineering"
before? Why was the decision taken in first place?

5. What are all the people spread all over supposed to make of the
recent developments? At the behest of a single man or a group of such
men, should they be forced to change their working style, philosophy
and way of seeing things?

6. I wish someone starts a fork of Sugar and everything OLPC. Why not
Walter Bender? Start a fork. Or else the people at OLPC, if you have
all the democracy and its powers, why don't you remove such people who
are moving away from the OLPC's original principles? I just hope
something of similar nature happens.

If you agree with me, please forward this message to other mailing
lists of OLPC where people are likely to respond to this issue.

Cheers !
Bibek

--
Bibek Paudel.