[sugar] [Grassroots-l] creation of local feedback groups

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Wed Apr 23 13:06:08 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
<e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> Zitat von Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com>:
>  > Tomeu,
>  >
>  > tomeu wrote:
>  >> Hi all,
>  >>
>  >> now that a considerable number of people are starting to use the first
>  >> minimally complete version of Sugar, may be a good moment to discuss
>  >> and agree on which is the best way for feedback to reach us the
>  >> developers.
>  >
>  > This is the right idea. The key would be for the coordinators of the
>  > local feedback groups to summarize but not filter or bias the response
>  > w/ their own concerns.  Most local volunteers are tech-oriented (like
>  > myself) and it is easy for us alter the feedback we get or selectively
>  > hear or magnify the responses that match our own.
>  >
>  > We need info from groups that don't use the tools of open-source trade
>  > -- wikis, mailing lists, IRC.
>  >
>  > We will be providing a lot of feedback from our pilots starting this
>  > Friday. How should we send that feedback to the Sugar Team?
>  >
>  > the best persons on the OLE Nepal team to provide this feedback are
>  > Kamana Regmi and Bipul Gautam, two teachers who are not familiar w/
>  > wikis, IRC, mailing lists, etc. It would be easiest if they had an
>  > e-mail address to send their responses to. They would be very confused
>  > by the tech talk on Sugar-Request and Devel-Request.
>
>  I agree that it's absolutely necessary to keep the barrier to entry for
>  this feedback as low as possible. While e-mails are certainly a good
>  start I'd like to see the submitted information also be added to an
>  online-database because I find mailing-list archives to be a consistent
>  pain the ass when it comes to retrieving previous communication and
>  information. A searchable and taggable database would certainly make
>  that easier.
>
>  Plus we also have to consider the fact that many of the people giving
>  the most valuable feedback (=teachers) might not even speak English and
>  it would be important to keep a record of their original feedback
>  somewhere.
>
>  In terms of the organizational structure it might make sense to have
>  some sort of feedback-liaison in each group. So for example if OLPC
>  people on the ground in Peru want to find out what's happening in Nepal
>  they'd just have to contact one person directly instead of asking their
>  way around. Should we maybe set up a wiki page for that kind of
>  information?
>
>  Cheers,
>  Christoph
>

>  > If I summarize the input I will inevitably filter the information and
>  > magnify what I think is coolest.

Ok, so sending email directly to the mailing lists may be too
inconvenient, and we don't have yet a database like the one Christoph
described. Can we use anything else in the short term, see how well it
suits our needs, and then go back from there?

Tomeu