[sugar] TuxWordSmith and sugar-emulator

Charles Cossé ccosse
Thu Apr 17 15:25:25 EDT 2008

Hi Aditya,

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Aditya Vishwakarma <
adi.vishwakarma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had installed sugar-emulator successfully and tried running TuxWordSmith
> without modifications. I was a little surprised that i ran as i thought that
> XO laptops used gtk and TWS had wx dependencies. I suppose sugar-emulator
> doesn't emulate dependenices.

Wow, so it ran?!  That's great.   It consumes some memory and CPU cycles,
but we can address that.  BTW, i am presently working on TWS this minute,
and hope to have a much improved update by this evening...it will be
available from my website.  There are both bug fixes re: submission
validation and performance fixes.  Also, the fireworks show has been
re-introduced (see MultiplicationStation).

> However, i browsed through the source code and it seems that wx features
> are only used to create the basic window. It can be easily modified for gtk
> then. Although browsing through the source code is a little hard without any
> sort of documentation... :|

Well, TuxWordSmith is just an experiment, and i have a full-time++ job, so
that's why there's no docs...

> Sir, i was hoping that you can mentor me on this project. I think it would
> be really great as it's your source code i am using.

Yes, i will be happy to assist with questions.  But, if it already runs on
Sugar, then why make something different from it?

Anyway, did you have a chance to see the TWS-ASCII program code? That is
very very similar w/o graphics to complicate understanding of the basic
algorithms.  Also, as i was modifying the README yesterday, it looks like
i've put some good overview paragraphs in there about the algorithm, though
not detailed enough to act as documentation for a developer, i understand.

Okay, i just remembered: I have a vym (view your mind) mind map of the
design.  This will be a great help to you.  I don't have it here -- i will
put it on the website this evenning and email you when done.   That will get
you very familiar with the whole layout, except recent changes, which aren't
so many in number...

TBC then...

> Aditya
> --
> IRC: adivis, at freenode.net

Charles Cosse

AsymptopiaSoftware | Software at theLimit
                www.asymptopia.org